Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chocolate-Gingerbread Cake



The thing that inspired me to make this cake was the surplus of ginger-ale I had in the fridge. I had a stomach ache earlier in the week for whatever reason but a small amount of baking soda fixed that so I had no need for the carbonated drink. I tried to think of something to use for it, as none of us require any soda or similar drinks...so I baked a cake - which we need, right? I originally saw the "base" of this idea from Veganlovlie's Irish Tea Brack but obviously went way out on this.



(Chocolate-Gingerbread Cake Dry Ingredients)

  • 3 cups of Rye Flour
  • 1 tsp of Baking Powder
  • 2 tsp of Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp of Ground Cloves
  • 1/2 tsp of Nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp of Cardamom
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of Cocoa Powder
  • About 2 cups of Confectioner's Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp of Sea Salt
  • Dark Chocolate Chips
  • A dash of Black Pepper

(Chocolate-Gingerbread Cake Wet Ingredients)
  • 1/4 Cup of Blackstrap Molasses
  • 3/4 cup of Vegetable Oil (sub half with banana for low-fat)
  • 1 cup of Vegan Buttermilk
  • 1 cup of Ginger ale
  • Minced Ginger (optional)


(Directions)
  • Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
  • Mix your wet and dry separately, then fold your wet into your dry about 15 times or until fully incorporated.
  • Place into a well-greased baking dish and tap about 5 times to keep the air bubbles from forming.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes or until the middle is no longer gooey and the knife comes out clean when you do your "finished" test.
  • Let it cool overnight or chill in the fridge for about four hours.Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with an orange wedge and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds really nice! I've never ginger ale in a cake,I tend to use ground ginger. That's because like you I don't actually buy any carbonated drinks. I love the flavour combinations in your recipe here! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lovlie! ^^ A lot of good things happen when you have "extras" in the house!

      Delete
  2. Ginger is one of my favorite ingredients, and scent in the kitchen so this cake would win over my taste buds.oooh and molasses rocks too. Hope your tummy is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great comment, GiGi! I'm feeling much better now! ^^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...