There's a little glow on these simple things - I can enjoy my favorite childhood treat with ease and have even made it a bit more "mature" with the addition of coffee. Crisp, sweet, velvety and chocolate with a great crunch and a dark-chocolate bite to balance everything out. An easy short-bread recipe combined with a simple cocoa coating and an amazingly easy shortbread recipe. I've become quite the little candy-making queen with this simple 5-ingredient caramel and a little eye-balling.
- 1/2 cup of Raw Sugar
- 3/4 cup of Vegan Margarine
- 1/4 cup of Applesauce (Optional, I didn't use)
- About 2 cups of White Whole Whea
(Coconut Caramel Ingredients)
- 1/4 cup of Cold Coconut Cream
- 3/4 cup of Cold Water
- 3/4 + 2 tbl Raw Sugar
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- A pinch of Salt
Dark-chocolate (for coating)
- Preheat oven at 325 degrees.
- Simply cream your margarine and sugar together for the shortbread.
- add flour and knead a bit and cut into 1/4-1/2 inch thick strips, roll in oats, poke a few holes and then place in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes or until hard, then place in the fridge as you start the caramel.
- For the Coconut Caramel, boil everything together until it gets to the firm-ball stage using a candy thermometer or using the cold water candy test.
- Spread on top of shortbread, then coat in dark chocolate.