This was a simple recipe that made use of a lot of leftovers, so technically the only thing I cooked was the lemon-filling. It won everyone's hearts over and now they might go into the "List of Party Things" so that I won't be mauled by guests. I'm not particularly a fan of lemon-squares, as I've had a few bad incidents with the boxed mix but I was prepared to see if mine was any better. While I'm still not a fan - I conclude that I was better.
(Lemon Filling Ingredients)
- 1/4 cup of Lemon Juice
- 3 tsp of Stevia
- 1/2 tsp of Orange Zest
- 1/2 Medium-Sized Orange Juice
- 2 tsp of Cornstarch Slurry
- 1 tbl Powdered Sugar
(Shortbread Topping Ingredients)
- 1/4 batch of shortbread recipe in Homemade Twix
- I used an animal cracker recipe with 1/4 the oil and a bit of applesauce. You can use this tart recipe
- For the lemon filling, heat everything except sugar until thickened. Then, remove from heat and add sugar.Set aside.
- Prepare your pie crust.Free-form into squares and then chill your pie crust.
- Poke a few holes in it, then bake in the oven for about 12 minutes.
- Spoon some lemon filling on top followed by crushed shortbread topping.
So, what's your favorite comfort dessert? Are you a fan of sweets other than lemon squares like me - or do you fawn over the sweet and tart tastes of this classic?